Ideally situated near Abel Tasman National Park and Nelson, South Island, New Zealand, the location of Stonefly Lodge allows our guests to use the Lodge as a base to explore a wide diversity of waters for fly fishing in the region and the opportunity to experience some of the region’s major national parks (Abel Tasman, Kahurangi, and Nelson Lakes) complete with their attractions.
Architecturally designed and engineered, the Lodge is built from natural stone and timber acquired from the 150 acre property. Stonefly Lodge is designed to meet the needs of the most discerning traveller and yet provide home comforts with personalised hospitality from the experienced hosts.
This multi-award winning lodge has been recognised for excellence in its environmental sensitive development and environmental sustainability. The total complex is powered by alternative energy sources built on-site to reduce the project’s environmental footprint.
The Lodge interior focuses on the large stone double sided fireplace which provides the ambiance to the games room, dining room and sunroom. A large open kitchen adjoining the dining area offers the relaxed atmosphere where guest dine together, or private dining opportunities can also be catered for. Breakfasts can be served on the guest room private balcony. The cuisine is made fresh from the extensive garden with home made produce, local quality meats and fresh seasonal seafood. Special diets are easily catered for.
Complete with library, a snooker table, and the “Matai Bar”, guests will have the ideal setting to relax after an exciting days fly fishing or after exploring the numerous sites and attractions of the local region. Four guest rooms are located upstairs complete with ensuites, heated towel rails, and private balconies overlooking the Motueka River and surrounding mountains.
The upper landing area above the dining room provides a quiet secluded place to utilise our fly tying area and guest computer or just indulge in a game of chess or relax with a good book, before retiring to your accommodation.
The lodge has been designed for entertainment and will be an ideal “sole use” facility for private functions, weekend getaways or exclusive events.
Suitable for your corporate conference or other private function
The property is 2.5 kilometres from the main sealed road with access via a riverside track to a secluded valley setting offering complete privacy for our guests. Stonefly Lodge is in an ideal location for private functions, a corporate retreat or weekend getaway. The Lodge can be used exclusively for corporate management meetings, or pre/post conference activities from Nelson, Christchurch or Wellington.
Luxury accommodation close to Abel Tasman National Park, Nelson New Zealand
- Luxury accommodation is provided up stairs with 4 guest rooms all with spectacular views from private balconies overlooking the Motueka River and beyond to the Mt Arthur Range in Kahurangi National Park.
- Fine linen sheets, top quality duvets, hand crafted furniture, local New Zealand art, all add to the ambiance of the spectacular wilderness setting.
- All rooms are equipped with private ensuites, writing desk, luggage storage, hairdryer, heated towel rails, and bath robes.
- There are two guest rooms in each of the two wings of the building enabling the rooms to be quite remote from the main activities area on the ground floor.
- All guest rooms, and the entire lodge, has wireless connection and the lodge offers an i-pad for use in the guest rooms for in-house entertainment if required.
- Breakfast can be served on the guest room private balconies if required.
- Each room has a super king bed that can split to two singles, allowing the lodge to accommodate 4 couples or 8 singles at a time.
- Relax after an enjoyable day exploring one of the National Parks and indulge in a private massage in your room by one of our local massage therapists / beauticians.
Stonefly Lodge is an ideal base from which to explore the Abel Tasman Nelson Lakes and Kahurangi National Parks, along with all the wineries and craft studios the region is renowned for.
The location for the Lodge was chosen not only because of the unique river settings and world class fly fishing opportunities but because of its central position in relation to the main attractions of the wider region which are the three of New Zealand’s major national parks, and the Nelson’s regional wineries all within an hour’s drive from Stonefly Lodge.
Location & Transportation
Only a 50-minute drive from Nelson
- By road, access to Stonefly Lodge’s luxury accommodations is only a 50-minute drive through the scenic Moutere Hills from Nelson. The Moutere Hills are home to many vineyards, orchards and country farms.
- We can arrange to meet you at Nelson Airport when you arrive and take you directly to Stonefly Lodge.
- Driving time from Christchurch on the East Coast is approximately 4.5 hours
- Driving time from Greymouth on the West Coast is approximately 3.5 hours
- Driving time from Picton on the North coast is approximately 3 hours.
What people are saying about Stonefly Lodge
"In every aspect this is Heaven on Earth. The food the people the locality are all beautiful."
"Some of the best flyfishing I have experienced has been from Stonefly Lodge."
"Fabulous Lodge, scrumptious food, gracious hosts - and a 9 pound brown! How does it get better than this?"